Sunday, November 04, 2007

Battle of the Bloggers Essay

As I sat down at my desk, logged onto Full Tilt Aussie Millions and waited for the Tournament of Champions to begin, I had a chance to reflect on my life. Who would have guessed that more than 15 years ago when I got that job as a high school work study at the Department of Defense back in Fort Meade, Maryland, I would eventually lose that job and wind up playing poker in Las Vegas? Back in those days, poker was something that my dad played at the house, once a month when he hosted a home game for men only. My mom made food, and then the ladies left the room. The home game and the Gambler song by Kenny Rogers were my only knowledge of poker.

After losing my job in Maryland, losing my house, losing my car, losing my friends and losing all semblance of dignity, I wound up in Delray Beach, Florida, living in a less than ideal situation. I won’t lie to you, it was a struggle just to get through the day, but this is where I found my new love, online poker. I can remember when my boyfriend and I would both race home and fight for the computer because we wanted to play! We had to take turns and waiting for him to bust out of his sit and go was pure torture! Then, we found out that certain race tracks in Florida have live poker. What a joy! We could play poker at the same time – amazing! But, really, who wants to leave the house and play in a stuffy, smoky, crowded poker room when you have the option of playing from your bedroom instead? Playing online and specifically at Full Tilt has kept me out of a lot of trouble! I finally found a way to battle my addictions in a healthy way and turned the negative obsessions into something positive.

Today, I live in Las Vegas, play poker all the time, write articles for an online poker website, have cash in my Full Tilt poker account, and I even worked at the World Series of Poker over the summer. I’m very involved in the poker community and the future is looking brighter than ever before.

I didn’t win the Tournament of Champions, but my good friend Waffles did! So, we met up in Australia for the Aussie Millions and we battled it out at the final table with Ted Forrest, Doyle Brunson, Howard Lederer, Mike Matusow, Annie Duke, and 2 other internet players. Competition was stiff, brutal even. My shining moment was when I looked down at pocket rockets and Ted woke up with kings. I raised, he re-raised and I put him all-in the aces held up! I knocked out Ted Forrest, but there were no hard feelings, he even took a picture with me.





As for who won the event, I’ll let you watch it on ESPN for yourself. I wouldn’t want to ruin the surprise.

3 Comments:

Blogger dutchmadness said...

hey carmen,

i don t have ESPN here but now I am very curious! How did you do there in Aussi?

cheers dutchmadness

November 04, 2007

 
Blogger dutchmadness said...

hey carmen,

i don t have ESPN here but now I am very curious! How did you do there in Aussi?

cheers dutchmadness

November 04, 2007

 
Blogger Blonde said...

First of all...HOT pic of you and the breasticles.

Second, I have been to Ft. Meade many times. I had family members stationed there. I also had a drunken moment of pure sluttiness by a lake/body of water/possible puddle with one of the hottest men I have ever been naked with. Army guy from the South. That accent gets me every time...

November 05, 2007

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home