Sunday, November 11, 2007

My New Job

The thing that I really liked about my new job was that I didn't have to sit up front, didn't have to deal with most of the typical administrative duties like answering phones and filing, and basically I was left alone and trusted to do my work. My duties were to write proposals and assist the president of the company. So, instead of sitting near the front of the office, I sat all the way in the back of the office, in front of the president's office. Perfect!!!!

So, the receptionist gets fired or quits, not really sure, they interviewed a couple of people and then they have a little meeting with us on Friday to let us know they aren't hiring a new girl, and I'm moving up front. I'm not the receptionist, but another girl is moving into her desk and I'm in turn moving into that girl's desk. Part of my responsibilities now will be to help answer the phones and all of that other bullshit that I didn't want to do. It sucks!

Not to mention, I have a smaller desk, I have to sit in the admin area which is kept about -10 degrees at all times because the office manager is probably going through menopause or something, and I'm going to freeze my ass off.

I'm not pleased. I've been pouting about it all weekend. I feel like I got demoted. I mean, I'm still making the same amount of money, but damn, this is not what I signed up for. I mean, whatever, I should be happy I have a job, and I am, but I had such a nice big desk and now I have a smaller one and I was really loving my role in the company and now I feel like a freaking secretary again. I have to help answer phones now - ugh - I have to sit next to the office manager and she watch my every key stroke all day long. It's not fair. If I thought it was hard to read blogs before, I was mistaken, there is now NO WAY IN HELL I can get away with being online. I'm surrounded by prying eyes now and I hate it.

Oh yeah, remember the camera I saw above my desk? After some further investigation I realized that they are all over the office and the office manager can pull up every single camera on her computer and she does all day long. She watches where everyone is walking and what they are doing and how long people are talking - it's ridiculous. Those cameras are not there "just in case" something happens, they are seriously there so that they can watch us at all times.

How come this company looked SO AWESOME on the outside and now I'm working there and I realize they are totally paranoid and creepy??

Oh, and here's the icing on the cake. When I first started there, I was friendly with the receptionist (the one that got fired) and the office manager sat me down and told me that she likes me a lot and I shouldn't hang out with the receptionist because they judge you by who you hang out with and she's not a very good worker and she wouldn't want people to assume the same thing about me. So, I stopped hanging out with her and I started having lunch with the girl in HR that hired me. I usually bring my lunch and we sit down at noon, have lunch in her office, chit chat and that's it. Do you know they counseled her on Friday afternoon about hanging out with me?! They said they didn't want us fraternizing at work, like, we could be friends outside of work, but we can't hang out at work - not even at lunch. UMMMM WHY? They are so fucked up. What's the big deal?

I had to go through a very stringent hiring process. I interviewed with like 5 different people and I beat out 50 other people for this job, so what is the problem with us hanging out? Do they not trust me? Do they not trust her? Do they think she's going to feed me personal HR information or something? This job gets weirder and weirder everyday.

Okay, on the upside, they changed my hours from 9 - 6 to 8 - 5. So, it won't be pitch black when I leave work and I will have more free time in the evenings to play poker online and go to meetings etc.

On the meeting front, as most of you know, I'm in recovery and I attend NA meetings a few times a week. So, lately, I've been feeling really disconnected, I haven't been hanging with my girls, I've been copping huge resentments against everyone and basically I've cut off everyone that is friends with "Drama Queen". During this process I realized that I'm not happy and I'm only hurting myself. So, I talked to my sponsor about it and I agreed to do a 30 in 30. That means that I'm going to 30 meetings in 30 days (one meeting everyday) so that I can get back into the groove, lose the attitude and be more involved. It's a good thing so I'm feeling really positive about it.

Don and I just watched Smokin Aces - crazy movie.

22 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I am so sorry to hear about your job situation. That camera stuff and monitoring who you lunch with is insane. I have never heard of soemthing like that! And good luck with the 30 in the 30 thing. It seems like a big committment, but something that would be really be great for you to reconnect some supportive people.

November 11, 2007

 
Blogger Jay said...

Companies trying to control their employees lives like that are my pet peeve. And that office manager sounds like she love power a little too much.

Good luck with the 30 in 30. Whatever it takes to keep going!

November 11, 2007

 
Blogger RockDog said...

SOme companies are weird like that...hope it get better!

Stay positive...things will turn around... :)

Have a good week :)

November 11, 2007

 
Blogger AaroN said...

Time to touch up that resume and move on.

November 12, 2007

 
Blogger B-Rad said...

Our HR people are not supposed to "fraternize" with us, either. I guess they are supposed to stay objective. It's an appearance thing, and no one tells you who you can or can't hang out with after work. The HR guys stick to themselves at work.

The cameras are over the top. I wonder if they had an "incident" of some sort and did it for insurance reasons? Like some crazy ex-boyfriend or former employee caused trouble?

If they knew the receptionist was on the outs, then they might have just been warning you to stay clear for that reason.

Still, I agree with Aaron....get your resume out. Sounds like your manager has control issues, and you can look forward to more of the same. I bet if you checked it out you would find that department has high turnover.

November 12, 2007

 
Blogger 6722 said...

there's an old saying, '...do you work to live? or do you live to work?'

I've gotten through many a piss poor job situations by remembering that adage. Hanging in there until something better came along, but still surviving cause I was able to drop the work mentality the minute I walked out each evening.

hang in there and like aaron said...get the old resume updated, something better is out there.

November 12, 2007

 
Blogger Terri said...

I would hate that type of work environment and having been an admin I know kind of what you are talking about. The hours sound better but is that all you have to look forward to? Is there opp for advancement? Maybe it'll get better. Good for you on the 30 in 30!

November 12, 2007

 
Blogger HighOnPoker said...

I can't stand that it is somehow acceptable to treat your employees like criminals. It just blows my mind. It's as though these employers don't realize that a happy staff is an efficient staff. I think it probably just goes back to how the people in charge of your office are not to be trusted, and therefore, they don't trust anyone. It's the old, "If you lover thinks you're cheating, its probably because they've cheated."

Working for The Man sucks.

November 12, 2007

 
Blogger jusdealem said...

That is one weird office enviroment. Wow. I say update the resume and be on the lookout for a better opportunity. Good luck with the 30/30.

November 12, 2007

 
Blogger Falstaff said...

Typically a change in job description/duties should result in a change in compensation. In other words, if they're gonna make you freeze your tookus off and do different shite, ask for more mobneys! And yeah, update the resume, sounds like the manager is a douche.

November 12, 2007

 
Blogger Princess Extraordinaire said...

I am sorry about you rjob situation - it seem slike you're working for Big Brother! I am also in recovery and I think a 30 in 30 is a great idea - especially when it comes to harboring resentments etc - I am always having to remind myself that expectations equal resentment and then go to a meeting!

November 12, 2007

 
Blogger WSOP Floor Supe said...

Wow, good for you on the 30/30. That takes commitment and a strong will.

It sounds like your company has some issues. If I remember right it is a new building so the cameras were not an after-thought but pre-planned for control. I agree with the others, start looking to get out before you drive yourself crazy.

Didn't get a chance to hook up this weekend. But now that Blonde is injured, the slumber party at your house in December is getting more interesting.

November 12, 2007

 
Blogger Francase said...

That situation sounds terrible, but I've heard of it before. I've had situations where the boss spent the whole day listening to subordinates' phone calls - it sounds like about as much of a waste of time as watching cameras all day.

Good luck with the 30 in 30 - it sounds difficult but worth it.

-APOSEC72

November 12, 2007

 
Blogger Erica AP said...

Whoa!! That's crazy!! I hate it when I'm being watch over like a hawk at work. I makes me feel like I'm jail or something. Creepy!! I hope it gets better...

November 12, 2007

 
Blogger Betty said...

this truly sucks. I would HATE this job - you can't talk to who you want to, you are being watched and everybody knows what everyone is up to? man that is fucked. Oh and the smaller desk and no sneaking in blogs during lulls?

I send you my sympathy hug and hope it gets more funner really soon. Hang in there, or look for a new job! Good luck :)

November 12, 2007

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

It really sucks when your job evolves into something completely different than what you thought it would be. The 30 in 30 sounds tought but I get the feeling you're the kind of girl that can do it, so I am sending strong vibes your way!

November 13, 2007

 
Blogger The Diva's Thoughts said...

Yeah, that job does sound really wierd my friend. I could never work in a place like that. Never. Yuck.

November 13, 2007

 
Blogger Heather said...

Yeah, all of that is pretty creepy. And that sucks you can't even have lunch with your co-worker, what the hell?!?!

November 13, 2007

 
Blogger The Ambiguous Blob said...

Girl, this post gave me flash backs to an audio company I used to work for. It was a small company (about 70 employees) and they acted as if they were the most important thing on the planet. The office manager was a nasty old german lady who talked mad shit about everybody and tried to get me fired all the time.

You know what? The SECOND I handed in my 2 week notice, I felt like a ton of bricks had been lifted off my shoulders.

The company that I went to turned out to be not so great (TERRIBLE!), but at least it was not so great in a different way.

And that job led to the one I'm at now, which really is the best place I've ever worked.

MOVE ON. There are jobs aplenty where you live!!!

November 13, 2007

 
Blogger Schaubs said...

Smokin Aces is nuts and totally crazy I agree.

Sucks that they are such watch dogs, I am not sure if I could put up with that... in fact I know I wouldn't. I'd look for something else before you start to really hate it... it sounds like you might already feel that way though.

November 13, 2007

 
Blogger B said...

they talk to you about who you should and should not hang with - WTF!! ??? very odd and yes creepy and I work on a psych ward and even we don't have camera's

but you are in vegas!! so I can't feel bad for you- SORRY!

November 13, 2007

 
Blogger Drizztdj said...

They must have a problem with turnover rates or something.

Micro-management sucks, good luck in coping Carmen, or finding something else!

November 14, 2007

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home