Monday, January 21, 2008

So Young

Last night I went to Westcare, it's a rehab in North Las Vegas for women. What I didn't know was that I was speaking in the teenage wing of the facility. When the girls started pouring into the room I was a little shocked to see teenage girls aged 14 - 17 staring back at me. I wasn't prepared to see them so young. Wow.

I started to worry that they wouldn't be able to relate to me or that I would'nt be able to fill the one hour meeting time or just that my message wasn't good enough. Anyway, I just forged through, they were good listeners even though they were passing notes back and forth. ha ha I used to do that in class too.

I talked about 45 minutes and then they had 15 minutes left over to ask me questions. Of course the first question they asked was "what was your drug of choice?" ha ha - I figured that.

I'm still thinking today how much I hope those girls can get it and break the cycle of addiction now instead of living that life for another 15 years, winding up in jail, and institution or dead. They still have their whole lives ahead of them, but the sad reality is that most of them will be using again within their first 30 days out of rehab. At least the seed is planted and they know they have a place to go when they are ready.

Tonight I was at this meeting and a woman was there, she shared that she was recently diagnosed with cancer, she is going through chemo and her husband just served her with divorce papers and he's sleeping with one of her friends and he is trying to kick her out of the house because they live with his parents. Damn, I felt really bad for her. So sad. I'm glad that shit isn't happening to me today.

So, onto other news - Amy Winehouse was secretly videotaped at a party the other night...

In addition to inhaling some crack from her glass pipe she also snorted powdered ecstasy and cocaine and admitted to popping six Valium pills to “bring myself down," the paper is reporting.










She's such a mess!

10 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Maybe a few of them actually listened and will make a real effort to get clean and stay clean. Its tough though cause kids that age don't listen to anyone usually.

Amy Winehouse is on everyone's deadpool list. She's totally out of control.

January 21, 2008

 
Blogger pentimento said...

I love Amy Winehouse.

January 21, 2008

 
Blogger STACY'S TRIP said...

you commented on my blog once

January 22, 2008

 
Blogger 4dbirds said...

How awful for your friend but actual studies show that more men leave sick women than vice versa. I'm not saying that as a "Men bad/Women good" thing, its just a fact. Here are some interesting articles about it.
http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/news/Jul2001/IllnessMarriageandDivorce.html

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-79743538.html

January 22, 2008

 
Blogger Carrie M said...

i bet more of them were listening than you think. i think it's awesome that you did that.

January 22, 2008

 
Blogger Carrie M said...

i bet more of them were listening than you think. i think it's awesome that you did that.

January 22, 2008

 
Blogger The Ambiguous Blob said...

You're doing good things for those girls! It's very comforting to see people who have gone through the same stuff and have come out of it okay.

January 22, 2008

 
Blogger HighOnPoker said...

FYI, Winehouse supposedly admitted herself into rehab today.

January 22, 2008

 
Blogger Karen said...

I agree that even those girls weren't ready to change yet, you helped plant something inside of them. That is so awesome that you give back like that.

Amy Winehouse is so talented and so screwed up!

January 22, 2008

 
Blogger jusdealem said...

Hope some of those girls listened to what you had to say!

Really sad story about the sick woman. Doesn't surprise me, tho. Some men are so heartless.

January 22, 2008

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home