Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Not very uplifting

So, the meeting yesterday wasn't very uplifting. My boss explained that the situation with the economy is DIRE and there are no signs of it getting better anytime soon. Our profits are WAY down and although he isn't laying anyone off today, he will re-visit the idea in 3 weeks. So, my job is safe through Thanksgiving, but I may be getting more than one week off for Christmas. Fingers crossed that I get to keep my job. I love this job and I NEED this job. We are hurting out here in Vegas. The Venetian stocks are WAY down and they are one of our biggest clients. I think last year at this time the Venetian stocks were at $150.00 a share and today they are $6.00 a share. Isn't that crazy? It's not pretty. There are so many projects that have been started and are now being stopped mid air. They can't even finish half of the buildings because they can't spend any more money. I really hope things turn around.

So, I have off Friday this week and I'm going to California for the weekend with my friend Hilary. It should be a lot of fun. We are going to Ontario, CA - it's in the Southern part of Cali. Anyone ever been there? I won't be doing any site seeting. I'll probably be at the hotel the whole time because it's an N.A. Convention and they always plan a lot of things to keep us busy.

I'm going with the same Hilary that I went to the Laughlin convention with. She's very stuck in her ways and she's very neurotic. So, I have to really keep an open mind when I spend time with her and try to be patient because she has a tendency to drive me nuts. Last time I let her drive she got us totally lost before we even left Las Vegas. So, this time, I'm driving and I'll be map questing our route so that I can be in control and make sure we get there safely and soundly without getting lost.

Artie Lang is on Adam Corolla and wow - he's got some amazing stories. He has 4 months sober right now, but he's coming off a big heroine run. I thought he was just an alocholic and did some blow - but he's actually into way more stuff. Interesting. I think he just came out with a new book so I might have to get that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Nobody can get any lines of credit right now so they can't finance construction or expansion projects. I don't know when it's going to get better either.

Hopefully they can avoid layoffs. Maybe they can be creative and go to four day weeks or "rolling layoffs" of some people a week at a time or something like that. It would be a hit to the pocketbook, but everyone would still have a job and their benefits!

November 18, 2008

 
Blogger Princess Extraordinaire said...

I really hope you get to keep your job as well...the economy is hurting so badly right now and so many are feeling the effects....my thoughts are withyou..

November 18, 2008

 
Blogger PinkPiddyPaws said...

Good luck. I knew exactly how you feel, except my job has been "shaky" for months now. I never know if I'll show up and the doors are closed forever. But I can't find a new job ANYWHERE!

November 18, 2008

 
Blogger Lys said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you re: the job. We're doing layoffs here but my dept. is rumored to be safe because everyone and their momma is suing someone. I wonder about our Las Vegas office tho...

November 18, 2008

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home