Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Day One

San Francisco Trip Report for Day One...

So, our flight heading out to San Francisco was god awful early. We had to leave the house at 4:30 in the morning. I was not a happy camper. My mom came back to my house on Christmas night and spent the night because I live a lot close to the airport and then roommate got up at the butt crack of dawn and took us to McCarran. Wasn't that nice of him? The flight was a piece of cake. Literally, we got up to full flying altitude, my ears stopped popping, they brought around drinks and then we started out descent and my ears started popping again. I didn't even finish my Us Weekly magazine and I usually fly through those.

So, we landed at like 7 or 8 a.m. and we took a cab to the Parc 55 hotel. We lucked out. It was a beautiful hotel in a great location. The subway and the cable car turnaround (end of line) were both right in front of our hotel. Plus, we were just one block away from like Macy's Union Square. They let us check in at 8 a.m. which is so unusual, but they said it's their slow season. We were happy about that. We dropped off the luggage and just went outside and started walking towards Union Square. We found a double decker tour bus thing that was about to leave and it's like, they take you around the city and you can hop off and hop back on whenever you want and the pass was good for 3 days, so we did that.

The bus was old as HELL - they said they had them flown over from England or whatever and apparently they didn't believe in heat. Everyone sits on the top anyway. So, I just bundled up for the ride. They took us through Chinatown and Little Italy and pointed out some landmarks and then we got off at the famous Fishermans Wharf. It was still really early and I was freezing. I mean, I had on a turtleneck, comfy and furry sweatpants, a sweatjacket, a big thick coat, a scarf and gloves, but it was just really hard to keep warm - until we started walking and we tried to stay in the sun. That helped a lot.

My mom on top of the bus...



Me...



These are a couple of shots I took from the top of the bus driving through the city...



Bank of America Building...



Fisherman's Wharf...






Next, we were dying to see Lombard Street. We had heard a lot about this amazing street that you walk up and up and up and then it's SO steep that they made about really crazy curves so that cars can go down. What LONG WALK up the hill. We had to stop about 3 times to catch our breath. But, I'm so glad I got to see it. It was really cool. I snapped some photos but it's one of those things you have to see it to believe it...






This is my mom stopping halfway up the hill to catch her breath...





Look at this awesome house or houses I suspect. I wonder if they get sick of tourists going by their house night and day. It's quite the attraction.



Fisherman's Wharf was fun. We spent quite a lot of time running around, shopping and eating there. We also walked to Ghiradelli Square where I bought some delicious chocolate of course...



We also took the double decker across the Golden Gate Bridge which was COLD yet beautiful...








And then for dinner I really wanted some authentic San Francisco seafood so we basically walked up and down the street, checked every single menu and finally settled on a quaint place on the water. Part of me wanted to try the dungeness crab SO bad, but they never even heard of Old Bay out there and I'm such a Maryland Crab girl that I was worried I'd be disappointed. I decided to get the shrimp instead and it was very good.



Anyway, my feet were pretty much throbbing by the end of day one and of course my calves were KILLING me when I woke up the next day because I haven't been going to the gym and it was quite a workout going up and down those hills.

Stay tuned because Day 2 is coming up soon and that's the day we went to Alcatraz, I got into a fight with some girl that stepped on my foot and I almost beat her ass and then they probably would have made me stay in solitary confinement on the island...

5 Comments:

Blogger LB said...

Im so happy to hear you liked SF. Cant wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

December 31, 2008

 
Blogger Blonde said...

You look gorgeous as always! I love SF and Ghirardelli is my fave candy!

Happy New Year! I will be in Vegas DEFINITELY in May...will reach out to you soon with details!

December 31, 2008

 
Blogger Vegas Linda Lou said...

Great pictures! You and your mom will never forget that trip.

Happy New Year, Carmen!

XOXO

December 31, 2008

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

I've been there and I love it!! Ghiradelli was my favorite!!

January 01, 2009

 
Blogger Heather said...

No Old Bay?!!! Yikes! lol. One of my really good girlfriends lives out there, I'm going to ask her about Lombardi Street!! :)

January 02, 2009

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home