Friday, July 30, 2010

A Light Finally

Okay, so here's the scoop...

I finally let my mom drag me to college to talk to an advisor. I wasn't really excited at all because I didn't know what I was doing, where I wanted to be, what career I wanted, if I even wanted to go to school, I was just lost. I've been lost for a very long time and I just haven't had much hope. I've been like a lost little puppy dog just roaming around in circles and getting into trouble along the way.

So, anyway, we went in and I just truthfully told the admissions chick about me, my work history, what I hated about being an administrative assistant - like, for instance, I hate doing everyone's shit work. I've always wanted to have a specialized skill, besides typing of course. Throughout my career, I've always felt like I did the work that nobody else wanted to do. I'm not thrilled about answering phones, filing, running errands, ordering supplies, blah blah blah. That shit bores the hell out of me.

Along the way I've gained some computer skills or whatever, but I just always wanted more than what I was doing.

We finally came up with a game plan...

I enrolled in this Health Information Technology Degree Program. It's a 16 month program and when I'm done I'll have an associates degree, which I already have, but mine is like ten years old and it's in General STudies. My new degree will be much more specialized and I'll be in the health care field. I'll have to take a test to become registered and once I pass, supposedly, I'll be able to get a job in a hospital or a doctor's office or whatever.

I'm excited. Some of the classes I have to take are... Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Coding, Diseases of the Human Body, Pharmacology, Management and Supervision in Health Services, Applied Health Information Technology, Health Services Delivery and Legal Issues, Medical Coding, etc.

In the actual workplace, I'll be ensuring that duplicate services aren't done. Like, if a patient already had a procedure, I'll make sure they don't get that same procedure again. I'll be in charge of all the records, I'll have to make sure all of the codes are correct and like, there is so much more, I really don't even know. I just know that the medical field is a field I've wanted to get into for a long time, but I just didn't know how. It's recession proof! Finally, I'll be in a place that has some longevity.

Best of all, my parents aren't paying for it. They didn't have to put their names on anything. All of the loans are in my name. I'm meeting with financial aid people on Monday. I should qualify for a couple of Federal Pell Grants and we'll just go from there.

I started class last night. WE go to school Monday - Thursday at nights. I was wondering if I'd be the oldest person there, but not hardly!! There's plenty of people starting over just like me. I made friends already too. The girl sitting next to me just so happened to be from D.C. so of course we became fast friends. She already took the Billing and Coding certificate and she was coming back to get the degree. She had nothing but good things to say about the program.

It's hysterical how things have changed in college. They actually gave us little zip drives to wear around our necks. So, when we sit down to take notes, we type them up on the computer and save them to our little zip drives and then we take them home to study. How cool!

Mom and I are going out this weekend to get a lap top. Fun!!

We already have a paper to write. It's awesome. I'm so happy to finally have a path to follow.

Of course, there are still some messes I have to clean up along the way, but at least there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel.

----------------

Sidebar: I got an e-mail today from a friend I used to hangout with in N.A. He heard that I was dead. He was really happy to see that I wasn't. The people in N.A. can be so ridiculous. Who the hell has time to make up such rumors?? They couldn't be further from the truth and this is one of the reasons I said sayonara to N.A.



Happy Friday!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jimmyhoofa said...

I wish you the best in your program. An education is one thing that cannot be taken away from a person -- it stays with you your entire life. In our modern day society of instant gratifiation taking the time to learn a skill, a trade, or earn a degree is sometimes not appreciated.

Good luck.

Jimmy Hoofa

PS -- I am on the worst run of my life in poker. Card dead for my last 10, that's 10 tournaments. My last tournament the best hand I saw for 3 hours wa 6-6. Had A-K one time. That's it. Help! How does one continue when it's this bad?

July 30, 2010

 
Blogger FleaStiff said...

"...I'll be able to get a job in a hospital or a doctor's office or whatever. ..."
Perhaps you could ask the personnel director of a hospital what they think of the program you have embarked upon? Would they be likely to consider it meaningful?
I really do wish you luck and certainly feel that the knowledge won't ever hurt you.

July 31, 2010

 
Blogger par88 said...

I think its awesome. Health care is one of the few areas that keeps growing in this terrible economy. Good choice!

July 31, 2010

 
Blogger lightning36 said...

I hope this turns out well for you. Even if you find out it may not be what you thought, it is still a step in the right direction. Best wishes that this will be the start of a new and fulfilling chapter of your life.

August 01, 2010

 
Blogger Brandy said...

Good luck with school, girl. I want nothing but the best for you. You've got the smarts to get you through, you just need to make sure that you hang on to that motivation and willpower. <3 ya!

August 02, 2010

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home