Friday, October 29, 2010

wow! 5 Years Ago

I got a text from Don this morning reminding me that it was exactly 5 years ago today that we were caught in the worst storm ever - Hurricane Wilma. We were without power for about 13 days, there was a curfew, no flights in or out of South Florida, I couldn't even drive my car down the street because of the debris, and to top it off, we weren't at all prepared. We didn't have water, food, candles or anything because we weren't supposed to get hit that hard. We thought we were just going to get a tiny piece of the storm. Instead, we were pummelled, our window broke during the storm and I was afraid the roof was going to blow off. I was literally curled up in the hallway praying to make it through.


I bet you guys never even heard about Wilma did you? That's because it happened after Katrina and she got all the attention.


"Five years ago today, Hurricane Wilma ripped across Florida and into the record books as the third costliest storm in U.S. history, and the most damaging hurricane ever to strike Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Tens of thousands of South Floridians lost electricity, schools and businesses were shut down for days, gas lines were blocks long and destruction was so widespread that many roofs have yet to be repaired.

Wilma's final toll: five dead in Florida, $20 billion in damage, and a haunting awareness that even a mid-size hurricane can cause enduring disruption."

A few pictures...


















I loved Florida, but after Wilma, I had enough.

2 Comments:

Blogger FleaStiff said...

>We didn't have water, food, candles or anything
So round up a few friends and play Hurricane Poker even though its a bit windy with no roof.
We are all glad you survived.

October 29, 2010

 
Blogger Brandy said...

I remember Wilma. Adam's sister finally was able to catch a flight after 5 days of no water & power to spend Halloween with us. My parents lost pieces (albeit, small pieces) of their roof and their shed blew away. It was pretty scary for everyone...

November 03, 2010

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home