Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fingers Crossed

Okay, so I might have a job. i'm super duper duper super excited. It's kind of a weird situation though and I'm not sure if it's for real or not. The guy put an ad up on craigslist a while back (maybe a week or two ago) for a personal assistant. I sent my resume and a cover letter and really built myself up and eventually he responded to me a few days ago.

He says that the position is part time and it's a work out of your home deal. I'm really loving this idea because I haven't worked a full time job in a good year or two and I'm thinking this is a perfect way for me to start building my self esteem and get myself back into the work force but I'm not diving right in head first. I'm sort of starting at the shallow end and working my way back in gradually. So, I won't have a HUGE shock to the system. I'm embarassed to admit that I've been sleeping until 10 and 11 some days and I was worried about having to get up at like 5 or 6 a.m. again. Of course I'd be willing to do it, but this is a softer easier way I think.

Anyway, I haven't met the guy yet. We've corresponded over e-mail and he's going to send me a task in the next day or two and if he's pleased with my work I have the job. Well, actually, he already said I had the job, but I'm thinking a lot of weight will be placed on this first task and I'm really going to give it my all.

So, it's a part time gig and there aren't any benefits, but I'll be getting a consistent weekly salary that I"m pleased with and I'm actually looking really forward to this.

But, there's a little voice in the back of my head that's nagging at me that this is too easy and that he hasn't even met me and he's willing to hire me already?? And, is there some sort of catch? My mom is thinking the same thing too and her voice is nagging even louder in my head. hehe

So, let me copy the e-mail he sent me and let you guys read it and tell me what you think...

EMAIL...



"Hello.

Thanks for your interests in the PA position My name is ___________, 40 years old, Originally from ( Gerona ) Spain ,but I have spent my whole life here in United State . I'm a Business owner by profession and I have been pretty successful in a handful of ventures I get involved in, from the Angel Investment Network in Canada and United State to various welfare and community service programs,Presently I own ____ Ltd. so I' often get my hands occupied, so it is imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can monitor and keep me up to date with my activities.As my assistant, your activities amongst other things will include;

*Running personal errands, supervisions and monitorings.
*Scheduling programmed, flights and keeping me up to date with them.
*Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence when I'm away.
*Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
*Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities.
Basic wage is $400 a week

Please note that this position is not an office based Job for now because of my frequent travels and tight schedules, it's a part-time, work from home basis and the flexibility means that there will be busier weeks than others, so it's a little difficult judging the exact number of hours you'll be doing per week.If you can manage your time properly, this job may even give you some extra while you do something else on the side.As I have said, I'd want us to get a head start with things as soon as possible. I do have a pile up of work and a number
of unattended chores which you can immediately assist me with, I hope we can meet up with the workload eventually.

I have been checking my files and what i would want you to do for me this week is to run some errands out to some of the orphanage home,I do that every month .The funds will be in form of Cashier's Check or United Postal Money Order and it will be sent over to you from one of my clients and i have some list to email you once you received the funds,You will make some arrangements by buying some stuff for the kids in the nearest store around you so you can mail them out...

I will get you more information on that,I will like you to get back to me with your Contact Details such as:

Full Name:
Full Contact Address:
Phone Number:
Age:
Email.


Once i received your contact information i will get back to you with the task for this week,Understand you will also be paid as well as its important for me to make the necessary steps before i get to the state.I really need to find the perfect person for this job, I'm confident you can take up the challenge and on the long run we should have a relatively sound working relationship between us."



I sent him my information and then I also sent him a picture so that he could see that I'm professional and pulled together and that I'll be representing him well...

This is the photo I sent...




Then, he sent this back to me...

"Hello,
I will need you to be honest and time conscious working for me and also i expect you to executing every of my instructions according and as i have just considered you as my personal assistance and your first assignment will commence this week of which i will be giving you every instructions on what to do.In the meantime i will like you to stay in touch always and look forward to my email in case of any update as you have some work this week which you might likely receive your first weekly payment from these assignments.

Note:If you decide not to work again please give me a week notice before you get paid. I will appreciate your acceptance mail as my Personal Assistance"

So, I responded and I'm just waiting for the task. But, from this last e-mail it seems as though I've got the job right????

What do you think?


Whether you play Texas Holdem or Omaha, Poker Times have all the poker online
resources you need. We provide easy-to-read GP Poker
Tournaments
information for all kinds of Online Poker GP players!

23 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Not going to lie, this sounds like a scam to me.

March 15, 2011

 
Blogger John said...

Run.
This is totally a scam.
Fucking scammers on craigslist praying on people trying to just find a honest job.

The first red flag was his shitty command of English. Most successful business people are sharp, they don't make careless misspellings like dropping the s off of United States. They also dont entrust people they havent met with money. It just doesnt make sense that he hire someone he doesnt even know to cash checks on his behalf.Hell, most small business owners only trust themselves with cash.
And speaking of checks, i bet this fucker is gonna come back and say some shit like, oh cash these Postal orders and cashiers checks they will be in your name. You will then cut me a check for half the amount. You know where this is going....The cashiers checks bounces a week later and your check is long cashed and Mr. Gerona is nowhere to be found.

Please be wary of sending this guy anymore info, especially SSN data or anything private.

I know its not what you want to hear, but this dude is totally full of shit.

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Rick said...

Clearly a scam. Don't put out a single penny to accomplish the task until you receive a check and it clears. Good Luck.

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger FleaStiff said...

It IS a scam.
Clearly its a fraud.
Do NOT try to cash or deposit any of the checks he sends you or buy anything "for the orphanage". The checks are bogus.
How could you have thought ANY of this was legitimate?
Oh yeah, I forgot... you play slot machines.

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Richard said...

Hi Carmen,

This indeed seems like a scam as the mentioned methods of cashing money are the most fraudulent that exist. Be very very carefull!

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Richard said...

Just agree to do any task that does not involve transferring/handling of money with him.

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger John said...

Scam if He asks to cash a cashier check or money order and then disperse the funds....btw don't give up on craiglist I haven't gotten some great part time gigs there.

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Karen said...

I don't know. I am skeptical so I think it could be a scam, but it could also be legit. Don't put all your eggs in that basket.

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Josie said...

I don't like it. Very fishy!

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Lori said...

SCAM

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger GaryS said...

"The funds will be in form of Cashier's Check or United Postal Money Order and it will be sent over to you from one of my clients ..."

There's the scam. You will be asked to buy goods and send him the left over money and then the cashiers check will bounce.

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger GaryS said...

"The funds will be in form of Cashier's Check or United Postal Money Order and it will be sent over to you from one of my clients ..."

That's the scam. You will asked to buy presents for the kids and send him the left over money. Then the cashiers check bounces.

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Adeel said...

yep its a scam for sure. Beware!!!

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Adeel said...

its sounds very shady. I would watch out if I were you.

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger WindBreak247 said...

Agreed. Sounds sketchy. Who hires someone sight unseen? Beware of what that first task is or how much you do before you first get paid. Also, what about taxes & other paperwork?

Be careful!

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Leon said...

Definitely looks shady, he/they want your social security number and personal informationshady

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Leon said...

Definitely looks shady, he/they want your social security number and personal information

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger FleaStiff said...

I sure hopes you got all these scam warnings before he sent you any cashier's checks to deposit for him! Of course some of those checks are so bad, the bank teller's laugh.

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Jay said...

This is a TOTAL scam. Total, total, total.

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=81742

http://scamfraudalert.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/personal-assistant-job-scam-on-craiglist-org/

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Jay said...

Oh, but you are a hottie! ;o)

Don't get suckered...please.

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger kipper said...

Are you freaking kidding me...Craigslist... Don't be a moron.

Scam

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger par88 said...

Sounds a little sketchy. Whatever you do, DO NOT SEND HIM ANY MONEY or give him anything valuable. This could be something similar to the Nigerian scams... i.e. he sends you a check made out to Carmen____ and tells you to deposit it, then take some cash out of your bank account and give it to Mr. X... (then of course the check bounces and you never hear from him again).

March 16, 2011

 
Blogger Kevbo Vegas said...

Craigslist has been a great tool for me in a few ways. But I assure you that this post is a complete SCAM. No doubt about it. SCAM

March 23, 2011

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home