Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Oops

Neat little story...  My mom and I were shopping at Michael's Craft Store the other day (Sunday) and a manager approaches us and tells my mom that it's "random acts of kindness day" in the store and she handed my mother a gift card for 25 bucks!  She said that they usually only give out 5 dollar gift cards but she thought my mom looked so nice and she really wanted to give her the bigger gift card.   She's right though.  My mom is so big hearted and she's always smiling and always thinking of others.  It was a really nice thing and she totally deserved it.

Today at work my boss called me into his office and told me that one of the girls complained to her counselor that I talk down to them.  So, he just told me that it's really hard to make the transition from client of Salvation Army to Employee of Salvation Army and especially to Supervisor for Salvation Army.  Where I used to be the one slacking off and talking shit to the girls and making fun of people (as a client) now I have to try to set a good example and be empathetic and sympathetic while still doing my job which means ensuring the girls work all day, making sure they don't steal, trying to keep them away from the boys and clothing more than 100 clients.  It's tough.  And, to be honest, I'm not always the nicest person, I'm short in the patience department and I blurt things out without thinking.  I am also a very hard worker so its frustrating for me to deal with people who are lazy and rude.  I'm trying though.

I try to give a lot of warnings instead of giving them writeups but that's going to have to stop.  They really do take advantage of me because I'm easy on them.  So, unfortunately, instead of getting frustrated and talking to them in sarcastic tones and yelling at them, I will have to do less talking and give out more writeups.  Then they will know I really mean business.

Since I started working there a little over a month ago I've given out two writeups to guys that literally cussed me out and I've given out two writeups for females that were given several warnings and they both blatantly continued to do what they were doing so I had no other choice.  The girls both left the program as soon as they were told they were being written up.  Both buys stayed because they were court ordered to be there but they both had to apologize to me. I haven 't had any problems with those guys since.

Anyway, hopefully I can figure out a good balance and try to treat the girls with more respect which in turn will mean they will respect me more.  I hope.

12 Comments:

Blogger randy tucson said...

In poker lingo never go on tilt. They are not worth getting mad at or talking down to them. They expect a reaction from you, don't give it to them. Explain the facts and how work will be done in a reasonable voice and stick to the rules you explained. If you get mad you have lost. I like asking peeps how their blood pressure is when they are tilting. cheetah speed

February 19, 2013

 
Blogger T.J. Swoboda said...

Just wanted to check in to say I've been missing your blog; hope all's well...

March 07, 2013

 
Blogger snevman said...

No updates in a while, you doing ok?

March 09, 2013

 
Blogger Sweetwater R said...

Sure hope things are going well, Carmen. Haven't had a recent post from you in a while and hope you have taken a vacation. Keep plugging away....there are lots of us cheering you on and wishing you the best.

March 09, 2013

 
Blogger Sweetwater R said...

Hope things are going ok for you. lots of us are cheering for you and would liek a short update on how things are going. Hang in there. It always gets better.

March 09, 2013

 
Blogger james5832 said...

Hi Carmen.. We need an update. Hope you're doing well.

March 11, 2013

 
Blogger randy tucson said...

You're starting to scare me. Am I gonna have to drive out to the poker palace? Hope you're fine.

March 16, 2013

 
Blogger randy tucson said...

You're starting to scare me. Don't make me drive out to the Poker Palace. Hoping you are fine.

March 16, 2013

 
Blogger randy tucson said...

Please let me know what kind of car you are selling. randytucson@gmail.com or text to 717-6043

March 16, 2013

 
Blogger Jay said...

Getting nervous that there may have been a pretty significant slip....I hope not...please let us know.

March 22, 2013

 
Blogger kipper said...

no updates in awhile...this cant be good

March 26, 2013

 
Blogger justine rehan said...

They sell sex, drugs and pretty much anything you want out of those places and as a result there is a lot of crime and the police are there a lot. As a result, the powers that be ( the cops and the hotel owners) put there heads together and decided to work with each other instead of against each other in an effort to ruin our lives.

May 31, 2013

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home