Tips for the WSOP 2007
Okay, so it's officially that time of year again - the 2007 World Series of Poker has descended upon Vegas once again. I love this time of year. If you have any interest in poker whatsoever, you can't help but get caught up in the excitement.
So, for those of you thinking about heading over to the Rio to try you luck in a satellite, donk away some cash in a live game, or simply buy in to the main event, I thought I'd give you a few tips on how to live like a local at the 2007 WSOP.
1. Taxi cabs and valet parking can get expensive. Wear comfortable shoes, park in self-parking, settle in for a long day of walking. The Rio is huge and there is ample parking, but you have to be comfortable with walking.
2. Wearing comfortable shoes brings me to my second tip - how to dress comfortably and still look fabulous at a poker table!!
A. For women - cute sweatsuits are my favorite. Here's an example...
This a Bebe sweatsuit - quite adorable, comfortable, and still sexy. You can show a little stomach, flash a little cleavage, but remain warm at the poker table. I think we all know how cold it can get in the poker rooms throughout Vegas. I suggest wearing a studded bebe tank top underneath the jacket, some adorable tennis shoes - I like Sketchers myself - and your ready for ten hours at the table.
Guys - here's a little advice - if you aren't Chris Ferguson, get rid of the cowboy hat. I've over it, Vegas is over it, we are ALL OVER IT! Let's move on PLEASE! Just because you are in the wild wild west, that doesn't mean you have to dress like it.
If you aren't Grey Raymer let's get rid of the sunglasses please. When I sit at a table with a young kid wearing dark shades, a hoodie, a hat and an ipod, I immediately surmise that he's been watching too much poker on T.V. and this is probably his first time sitting at a live poker table in Vegas. Let's move on people. I think a baseball hat is sufficient.
Other than these OBVIOUS things, feel free to get creative guys. Show me something fun! Grab our attention, dress it up, dress it down, but remember to take a shower. There's nothing worse than sitting next to a guy with B.O. Let's take a little pride in ourselves okay? Leave the table once in a while, take a nap, brush those teeth and use soap in the shower and a little cologne goes A LONG WAY - THANKS!! I think I speak for everyone at the table when I ask you to take these simple suggestions.
3. A 1 hour meal break doesn't give you much time to properly fuel up for the another 5 hours, so here's my suggestion. Don't go to the closest restaurant!!!! It'll be packed and you will have to shove the food down your throat. If you eat too fast, it'll take forever to digest the food and then you'll be falling asleep at the table. I know it's annoying, but think about packing a lunch so that you can take your break, and enjoy the full hour without rushing around to find a place that will seat you and serve you quickly enough. OR - find out when the meal break is and leave about 15 minutes before everyone else breaks so that you'll be sure to get a quick seat and you'll have time to enjoy your food.
4. If you looking for a cheap drink, walk to any bar in the Rio, put ten dollars in the slot machine, drink as long as you want - as long as you have money in the machine, you'll drink for free. IMPORTANT - be SURE to tip your bartender well. If you go to the same bar a few times a week, he or she will hook you up with nice strong drinks, they won't care if you are actually playing the machine and they'll be happy to chat the day away with you - NEVER EVER forget to tip your bartender, waitress, valet, dealer etc. Not tipping is a major no no.
P.S. The money in the machine trick doesn't work if you are a gambling addict like me. You'll end up losing WAY more money in the slots than you would have if you just bought the damn drink :)
5. If you have spare time, check out the Lucky Strike bowling alley at the Rio. It's very new, very cool, and totally fun!!!
6. Last - but certainly not least... Check out the Bodog suite!!! It's always the BEST suite with the BEST swag and the hottest girls....
See what I mean?????
I hope my tips are helpful and as always - look me up when you are in town!!